Pages

Friday, May 3, 2013

A Virtual Race, a PR, and...underwear!

On Wednesday, I decided to join the first annual Running Bloggers' Virtual Race. I don't know if I can be considered a "real" running blogger or not...most of the running bloggers are much more accomplished than I am, but I figure somebody has to represent the beginners, right? Anyway, I joined the virtual race and signed up to do a 5K and a 10K.

Then yesterday, I went to my regular Thursday workout knowing there would be more running than there was on Tuesday. I did my warmups, some core work, and then we headed to the treadmill. I was going to do half mile repeats, which is running a half mile (at my "new" pace), and then walking 1/10 of a mile, and then repeating that for 30 minutes.

I've recently discovered that my biggest problem while running is the huffing and puffing, so the short walk between half miles helped me TREMENDOUSLY! I was able to talk during the whole thing (poor Bruce, I only had 4 million questions) and I was running comfortably. When it was almost 30 minutes, I looked at my mileage and said, "OK, I'm gonna have to do a 5K now." I was so close!

Even though my training time was almost up, Bruce hung around until I finished. Toward the very end, he said, "What's your best 5K time?" I told him (38:25) and then he said, "Well, you're about to demolish it." That's my favorite thing he said all day. :)

I knocked 3 minutes off of my best 5K time and PR'ed for the Virtual Race!! My time was 35:26!!
Sweaty and proud!

And now I really need to say a few words about underwear. Which leads me to say a few words about sweat. I am not one of these girls who "glistens." I sweat. I sweat a LOT! I work HARD in my workouts! And as a result, my underwear gets soaked. Sorry if that's TMI, but it's just true. I wear my regular cotton underwear under my running pants and it's just ridiculous. By the time I'm warmed up and ready to run, my underwear is soaked and bunched up.

The other day I was pulling on my pants/underwear while trying to run on the treadmill. They were all bunched up and bothering me. It was very attractive, I'm sure! It's just getting hotter, and I'm just going to sweat more and more, so I finally broke down and bought some exercise underwear. It's hard to find - I looked at several stores in the area, including the apparel store at the gym. No one carries them. I had to order online. After reading an article in Runner's World about this very subject, I decided to go with the Moving Comfort workout bikini.

When they arrived in the mail, I tried them on and they fit great - and they felt great! I wore them for the first time yesterday, and I love them!! They stayed in place, wicked away sweat from my body, and dried quickly. My pants were wet with sweat, but my underwear was mostly dry! Amazing! Now I'm going to get a bunch more pairs. :)

In other news, I signed up for my first half-marathon last night. Wait. Did I really say that? I SIGNED UP FOR A HALF-MARATHON!!!! I'm so excited and nervous and everything else! I also convinced Barbara to run with me, so I'm even more excited! Disney Wine & Dine Half - here we come!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment