Pages

Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Everyone has bad days...right?

I'm behind! I need to try to blog more often so I don't forget my workouts! So last Thursday, after doing some weight training, Bruce timed my mile. It had been about 4 weeks since I started training with him. I really wanted to beat my time! The first time he timed it, I ran about a 13 minute mile. I also had to stop in the middle and walk a little. (Keep in mind it was my first day working with a trainer, and by the time we got to the treadmill I already had jelly legs! Plus I had done yoga for the first time the day before, and I was sore from that!)

Apparently, now I'm used to all the warmups and weight stuff we do before running. Thursday I ran a 10 1/2 minute mile! I was pretty happy with that. 2 1/2 minutes faster than 4 weeks ago, and I didn't have to stop and walk!

Saturday, my assignment was to run 6 miles. I'm so thankful for my super-reliable running buddy, Barbara! I was up at 5:30 and left the house around 6, headed to Crane's Roost. We started running around 6:30. I knew almost immediately that it was NOT going to be a good running day.

My body felt ok, not great, but I couldn't seem to get my breathing right. I was huffing and puffing, and then my legs were hurting, and we weren't even through the first mile. Again, I'm thankful for Barbara - she talked me through it. (If she hadn't been there, I probably would have quit.) We went off the regular course and up a few hills - one of them was fairly big, so when we went down it I was able to open up my stride (Barbara's words) and run faster. It felt really good, and that was probably the best few minutes of the entire run for me!

After 3 miles, I felt like I needed to sprawl on the ground and sob walk a little, so we did most of the rest of the run with 5's and 1's - that is, running 5 minutes, walking 1 minute. I felt like a total and complete failure. After all, it had only been a week since I did 5 miles without stopping, and I was fine! What was wrong with me??!!

When it was time to stop, I pushed myself for another .2 miles just so it would be a 10K distance. So now I know I can survive a 10K (barely) and it's a good thing since I'm running one on May 11!! I was so disappointed with my performance. This is where the OCD thoughts kick in. My brain goes straight there: I'm not good enough. Maybe I'm not cut out for running. I started too late in life. And blah blah blah. A big part of running for me is reframing those thoughts. I LOVE running. I'm not quitting now.

I may have cried a few tears when I got home. But I also may have dried them up pretty quickly and had a nice relaxing bath, followed by some relaxing time on the couch with some of my favorite things:
I'm so in love with Pro Compression marathon socks! (I love their low trainers too!) But that's another post. :) (PS - some of their socks are on sale right now! Check out their website!)

And so on we go. I had sore legs and shin splints after Saturday's run, so Bruce took it easy on me on Tuesday. HA! We did a bunch of weight training. I even did pushups with rotation on a low block - and I did planks with my arms on a ball. Crazy...and fun! I only ran for 15 minutes, but it was, as Bruce says, at my "new" pace, which is a 10:25 minute mile. As usual, the last few minutes were super hard! But it felt great just to know I can do it! Bruce thought it was pretty funny that I couldn't talk as much while running. But I'm sure I'll get used to that pace and start talking his ear off again. :D

I can't wait to see what he has for me tomorrow! I know it will be more running than Tuesday, but that's all I know. It could be hills, speed, intervals...we'll see! I'd better go ice my calves.

No comments:

Post a Comment