Pages

Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Getting in Shape vs. Staying in Shape

Recently I read an article about various celebrities and their fitness habits.  One comment really stood out to me.  It was from actress Minka Kelly.  She said, "I've found that staying in shape is much easier than getting back in shape, so I try to keep things on an even keel."

I'm realizing the absolute truth of that statement!  A few years ago I was about 25 pounds lighter.  I won't say I was in better shape...I was in about the same shape I'm in now.  I've never been in amazing shape or anything like that.  But I'd like to have more muscles than flab.  I'd like to improve my running endurance and speed. I'd like to strengthen my core.  As I work toward these things, I'm disgusted with myself for putting back on the weight I worked so hard to lose.  This would all be easier if I was 25 pounds lighter.

So I want to publicly say that this time, when I finally get in shape, I'd really like to stay in shape and not have to get back in shape again!

I was tortured by met with a running coach today.  I had one free training session at the gym, so I wanted to try it out and see if it was something I might like to do regularly.

My day started off with my attempt to turn off the alarm, only to realize that I could barely move my arms. Yep, I was pretty sore from the yoga and water aerobics yesterday!  Once I sat up in bed, I realized that my shoulder was in super bad shape!  (It always gives me trouble and I've never injured it or anything, so maybe it's arthritis or maybe something's out of joint or something, I don't know.)  This morning it was worse than usual.  I could barely move my head.

Advil, heating pad, and slow moving helped me through the morning.  I had my appointment with the running coach at 1:00, and I considered canceling, but I don't want to be a quitter.  I headed to the gym at about 12:40.

We spent the first 10-15 minutes talking, and then he led me to an indoor football field/astroturf type place. And we proceeded to do a bunch of what I would call football player exercises.  Lunges, stretches, running backward, shuffling, side running, working with a band around my ankles, and etc.  My thighs were on fire. Then we got on the floor and did a bunch of ab and butt work.  I was really feeling yesterday's workout!

Once my legs were complete jelly, he wanted me to run a mile on the treadmill!!  I asked him if this was normal behavior, wearing yourself out before you run.  He said that I would get used to it.  :)  Then I told him that I always rested up before a run.  He just smiled.  :)

So I staggered hopped on the treadmill and away I went.  I ran for a mile but had to stop and walk for about a minute in the middle.  I couldn't believe how bad my legs hurt.  Usually after I run my calves are a little sore, but my calves felt amazing compared to my thighs!!  When I was done we talked a little and he gave me some assignments, then he had to go to a meeting, so I just stood there on the treadmill because I didn't know if I could step down!!  I looked around and saw another trainer nearby, and I figured if I fell down he would at least come and drag me out of the way.  Hahahaha!

Eventually I made it down - but it was REALLY hard!  Once you step down with one leg, all your weight goes on that thigh and it was excruciating!  I climbed the stairs slowly and exited the gym, and had more trouble when I had to step into the parking lot from the sidewalk!

This evening I soaked in a hot bath and it felt great.  But I'm still SUPER sore.  I know it will be worse tomorrow.  I am going to exercise tomorrow, even if it's just water aerobics.  I know the best thing for the soreness is to work it out, but it won't be easy!  You know what, though?  I feel good.  I'm hurting, but I'm proud of myself for working hard and not giving up.  Every year at spring break I swear that I'm going to exercise every day of my break and get in a good habit.  This is the first time I've ever done it!

And one more great thing today - my coach told me I have great running form and that I'm a mid-foot striker and not a heel striker!  If you're a runner, you'll get the significance of that, especially for a beginner!

Stay tuned - I'm sure I'll have many more adventures to share!! :D  If I can move my arms tomorrow, I'll let you know how my exercise goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment