Pages

Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Boston, Fartlek, and flabby arms.

This is the first year that I was even aware of the Boston Marathon. I knew when it was happening, right when I was working, so I couldn't watch, but I came home for lunch and watched the recap of the Elite Women. It was amazing! I loved watching the different strategies and seeing what individuals did and what groups did. Right while I was watching it online, my husband texted me to tell me about the bombs.

I don't know what's wrong with people. I don't know what else to say. Don't we have enough bad stuff in this world without people purposely adding to the evil? I've read so many inspirational stories and seen so many quotes in the last couple of days. My favorite was was, "If you're trying to defeat the human spirit, marathoners are the wrong group to target!"

So I dedicated my run to Boston yesterday (approx. 2.5 miles) and I wore a race shirt to show support. I'm going to wear one every day this week and I'm going to dedicate my Thursday and Saturday runs to Boston as well. If you want to join the "Runners Unite to Remember" virtual run, click this picture:

In other news: I worked out with my trainer yesterday. I've been complaining about the cellulite around my armpit...you know, when you try on a dress and that stupid piece of armpit hangs over? Well, maybe you don't know. But I tried on a few dresses the other day that looked cute except for that! And now that armpit hangover looks all wrinkly like an 80-year-old woman! That's new - it hasn't looked like that before!  YUCK! I have to do something about it - I live in Florida where it's hot and we need to wear sleeveless stuff! So I complained and Bruce challenged me with several exercises to help. And today I can barely move my arms! :)

But you know what? It's awesome to have sore muscles! It means I did something! I did something good for my body! It's a great feeling. I love it. I never thought I would love pain, but I really do love it! My workouts are the highlight of my week now. (I know, I don't even recognize myself! People always say that exercise brings out the endorphins, and I never believed it until now! I think you have to get in the habit of it before it actually works!)

So...Fartlek. A very strange word. I've seen it as I obsessively comb over each and every inch of my Runner's World magazines (even the old issues my wonderful sister-in-law gave me) but I never knew what it meant. So yesterday, after doing my warmups, core exercises, and armpit exercises, Bruce got me on the treadmill. My "happy" pace is 4.8 MPH. That's the pace where I can run for a long time and still carry on a conversation. Experienced runners will laugh at this, it's so slow, but I'm doing my best! :D

He had me run for 2 minutes at 5.0, then 1 minute at 5.5. No walking. We did this circuit 5 times. Usually when we do intervals like this I have a little walking, but not yesterday. And I did it! It wasn't so bad! Poor Bruce, I pretty much talk to him nonstop while I'm running, huffing, and puffing! :) He's a good sport about it! LOL!! When he told me I only had one circuit left, I was feeling pretty good and pushed the last run up to 5.8. It was a challenge! 

Then I walked for 3 minutes, then ran for 10 minutes at between 5.2 - 5.5.  I started at 5.5 and did about 6 or 7 minutes, and then it really started to get hard. I took it down to 5.2 and it was still really hard, so I resorted to doing math in my head (counting in binary) and that took my mind off the pain. And I did it! It is such a great feeling to finish something like that when it's a challenge for you. After we were done, Bruce said that that was called Fartlek. Look at me, learning running terms! 

I'm going to be late for work if I don't get in the shower, so I'll have to write about OCD later. Pray for Boston!

No comments:

Post a Comment